For the past five years, the Carbondale Church of Christ has supplied an office for the Southwest Tulsa Chamber at no cost. Resources such as Internet use and copy machine use have also been provided on a cost basis. As of next week, the Chamber will move into newly remodeled offices in the Crystal City Shopping Center, next to the new Save-A-Lot grocery store, which is currently under construction.
Carbondale celebrated its 85th Anniversary last month in special activities that swelled the worship attendance to almost three times their normal size. Established just up the block in the old historic district of Carbondale, Oklahoma in 1929, members quickly worked to tear down and rebuild a little white church building on the corner of their present facility on West 51st Street at 32nd West Avenue. The present worship facility was constructed in 1965 next to the exit ramp to 33rd West Avenue off Interstate 44. The congregation currently has 180 members of all ages.
Only eleven ministers have served the congregation over the past 85 years. The church established a ministry to the community by inviting Connecting Fathers and Families to establish an office in their building (which was originally Dr. Kempe’s old office). New Principal Dr. Cassandra Funderburk established a partnership with Carbondale and others upon her arrival back at Remington in the fall of 2009. Carbondale was recognized as 2013 Faith-based Partner of the Year by Tulsa Public Schools.
Thanks, Carbondale, for all you’ve done for the Chamber!